Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler replacement advice needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Hope you and your families are well.

Our boiler in the family home is on its last legs.

Our family home:
  • Has a Halstead Iheat 35c. It about 10 years old but has only been in use and on the wall for 5 years.
  • Spread over four floors, including the attic and cellar.
  • Has two bathrooms: Upstairs has thermostatic shower and shower fed from taps. Downstairs has an electric shower.
  • We only use the central heating a couple of hours a night in the winter due to the family being all over the place and we find it inefficient to heat the whole house. So we use electric oil filled heaters in rooms that are occupied during the day.
  • It’s a large family with constant pull at the hot water.
  • Want a reliable boiler that we shouldn’t have many problems with. We had a Vaillant installed in 1992 it lasted 19 years with just a pump replacement, they don’t make them like that anymore.
  • The house is large, most rooms are at least 5m by 4m, and it has 11 radiators, two bathrooms and 1 kitchen.
  • I would like a powerful boiler with good flow, capacity and a long guarantee (obviously fitted by a certified fitter).

Future plans:

These are all thoughts at the moment but will obviously affect the use of the boiler.
  • Maybe add a third toilet and sink to the attic.
  • A Quooker style tap to the kitchen (not done any research on these yet so not sure if any good)
  • Maybe add a thermostatic shower downstairs (leave electric in situ just in case boiler fails)

Boilers:
At the moment I am torn between two boilers the Baxi Platinum+ 40kw or the Viessmans Vitodens 111 35kw.

The Baxi, in my eyes, is pretty much a standard combi boiler exchange in my eyes.

The existing boiler is in the dining room, with no real alternate place to put it. The extra size of the Vitodens is putting me off slightly as the bottom of the boiler is hung about 7 foot off ground above the couch. This adds about 10cm to the depth of the Halstead too. Also when the water in the tanks finish and the boiler activates, will we have to wait for the tanks to fill before the taps give water again or will it start to come out as it is heated?

I am going to buy a weir cup to monitor the flow rate on the cold and use this to work out what power output would be best suited.

I am now seeing a lot more installs of additional expansion vessels, this is something I am also considering as the house is large and although it only has 11 radiators I have seen the pressure reach 3 bar occasionally and the current one (although faulty) is sending a lot of water out via the PRV.

I am thinking to install a shock arrester, have again seen this on recent installs and have noticed some slight water hammer in the downstairs bathroom.

Just after your thoughts to my thoughts and situation really.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

as you say need to know your flow rate and pressure before we can suggest as there different types of combi boilers eg no point in going for a 14 lpm plus boiler when you have 10 lpm maximum etc

Reply to Boiler replacement advice needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock