Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler installed by non-Gas Safe engineer. Are we liable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sprintmancolin

Hi all,

We took a plumber on to fit our new central heating system and boiler. His website said he was Gas Safe registered but it has since been discovered that he wasn't.

We have contacted Gas Safe and they are coming round to inspect the installation for safety etc.

We know that installing by a non Gas Safe registered person is illegal, but who is liable? We are now worried that in some way we have broken the law because we are the homeowners.

Any clarification much appreciated please.

Thanks.

he is for false advertising ,did anyone else sign off his work?

If you have spoken to GS then you already know this but, please turn off the boiler and do NOT use it.
You should have checked the guys GS card before any work was undertaken, how did it come to light that he wasn't GS registered after he had started?

I hind site you should have checked the business out, but they have committed the offence, so you are not going to be in trouble for it. Lets hope that GSR do a proper in depth report and HSE take it forward to address the breach of gas safety regulations.

Hope! Yes you should have asked to see his card. Not really your fault it's lack of education of public in general and us Brits being too trusty, do you check dentists not been struck off when you get a filling?

Hi all and thanks for your responses. Yes, in hindsight we should have checked his card but his website said he was registered and he also kept telling us he was registered. We were very naive I guess. It all came to light when we asked for the building regs certificate and he came clean. Gas safe are now on the case and glad to hear that we're not liable. Thanks again.

all's for sure, its going to cost the difference (and more) from that quote for the works and the highest to get the boiler signed off as it should be removed and re-fitted!!

think on the lines of hiring some one to dispose of some household waste but the carrier is not registered and its found fly tipped!!!

I have read your post carefully - quite obviously things have gone wrong

You have not been as vigilant as you should have been - and your
'contracter' even worse. You will in my opinion NEVER get anything back from your fitter
if he is not registered he will have no assets - and was a cowboy.

You have broken no law - I would get the best heating outfit in your area in to check it all over
pay them - do what they say - get peace of mind and a report / certificate - move on and forget

CHK

We took a plumber on to fit our new central heating system and boiler. His website said he was Gas Safe registered but it has since been discovered that he wasn't.

We have contacted Gas Safe and they are coming round to inspect the installation for safety etc.

We know that installing by a non Gas Safe registered person is illegal, but who is liable? We are now worried that in some way we have broken the law because we are the homeowners.

Any clarification much appreciated please.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

could you please keep us posted on what happens to him and what is said regarding the safety of the appliance.

Many people post on a topic and never return but this is of interest to us in as much that we want to know what gas safe do with our registration money in regards to chasing prosecutions

heres an interesting one, I IDed a boiler a while back , gas safe have inspected and written to installer to make good faults, but owners dont want him back, so I get to be paid to do work. According to GS lady, if I do work, case closed and the installer isnt chased up for dangerous install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your responses. Will let you know what happens unless it goes to law which I obviously won't be able to say anything in order not to prejudice proceedings.

heres an interesting one, I IDed a boiler a while back , gas safe have inspected and written to installer to make good faults, but owners dont want him back, so I get to be paid to do work. According to GS lady, if I do work, case closed and the installer isnt chased up for dangerous install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Outrages isn't it, I wonder what they would do if you lot threatened to withhold your fee's until something was done to stop this ??
I know, you would get taken to court & prosecuted for working (while not being a member) i.e. illegally.

Gas Safe have no powers what's so ever. They pass the report on to the HSE. If the HSE don't think it's robust enough case they will not waste our tax payers money on it.

I have looked into 'gas safe' spending hours on the legal aspects and from what I've found out the fitting of gas installations is a no mans land, anyone can buy install any gas fittings, boilers or pipe work.
What you cannot do is connect it to a gas supply!
My quest was to find out why, when I need a gas certificate, gas fitters/companies can charge whatever they like, my gas safe certificate cost £88, for less than ten minutes work, the quotes I got were from over £200 down to the £88 I eventually paid.
I can remember when gas safety was under the 'corgi' banner and one engineer laughingly said that gas safe certificates were like blank checks, posh house posh price and as they were required by law people would cough up.
The whole industry has become a closely guarded masonic like business, with trained fitters unwilling to take on apprentices because they know at the end of the day once qualified they will leave and work for themselves.
There will be howls of derision over what I have posted but gas fitters are not alone, question when you rip out copper pipes and old copper boilers do you deduct the scrap value from the customers bill? There is a thread on this site that goes into the ins and outs of stropping cable and how much 'cash' they get from the scrapman, taxable never, its a perk of the trade boys perk of the trade

I have looked into 'gas safe' spending hours on the legal aspects and from what I've found out the fitting of gas installations is a no mans land, anyone can buy install any gas fittings, boilers or pipe work.
My quest was to find out why, when I need a gas certificate, gas fitters/companies can charge whatever they like, my gas safe certificate cost £88, for less than ten minutes work, the quotes I got were from over £200 down to the £88 I eventually paid.
I can remember when gas safety was under the 'corgi' banner and one engineer laughingly said that gas safe certificates were like blank checks, posh house posh price and as they were required by law people would cough up.
The whole industry has become a closely guarded masonic like business, with trained fitters unwilling to take on apprentices because they know at the end of the day once qualified they will leave and work for themselves.
There will be howls of derision over what I have posted but gas fitters are not alone, question when you rip out copper pipes and old copper boilers do you deduct the scrap value from the customers bill? There is a thread on this site that goes into the ins and outs of stropping cable and how much 'cash' they get from the scrapman, taxable never, its a perk of the trade boys perk of the trade

........and your point is?

i pay tax on my scrap, take on apprentices and hate custards, well 60% of the self righteous idiots! would you risk your neck for less than £35p/h? i think not/ when you go to work in your office do you pay for your desk, all the equipment in that office and put up with ducks rse custards? thought not.

I have to pay tax on scrap, HMRC take a dim view of me having unexplained £200 to £700 into my bank most weeks?

GSIUR. Tells you all you need to know.

And as for the Masonic comparison, being as I have a foot in both camps I think I can be a little more authoritative than most.

There are secrets in both, yes you are right, but one camp keeps those secrets because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And the the other camp keeps secrets because we can.

No I didn't just 'interview my installer!
I spoke to the HSE, Customer service 0845 345 0055
Gas Safe, Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered.
Local trading standards,
Local authority.
"Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Gas Safe registered engineer" note the word 'EMPLOYED'
Its all a bit protective, what you do for a living is your choice.
Another area is wood burning stoves, ring around and get a quote for the installation and you'll be told that to install one "Liner and stove installations should be undertaken by a HETAS engineer to HETAS regulations." which is, if you wise up on the legal aspects is not true, the work has to be signed off by the local building control officer. Installing a wood burning stove, I know, can save you thousands of pounds.
As for scrap copper, words like 'beer money' spring to mind (not my words) and I don't think people pay tax on their beer money. Everyone holds up their hands and says 'I pay tax' when it is plainly obvious that many don't.
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/35072-scrap-copper-what-do-you-do-3.html
Smileys behind postings tell the real truth.

You obviously have no sense of humour.

You also fail to comprehend the multiple references to competency.

And I'm starting to think you're on a wind up. I should let it go if I were you.

Quote> I've found out the fitting of gas installations is a no mans land, anyone can buy install any gas fittings, boilers or pipe work.
What you cannot do is connect it to a gas supply!<Quote, from Post 17. This quote it is inaccurate. You are not allowed to carryout gas work unless you are competent to do so(Competence = Someone with the relevant Training, qualification and experience). If you are employed or self employed to carryout gas work, then you must be registered with the approved body (GSR at the current time).

Quote>My quest was to find out why, when I need a gas certificate, gas fitters/companies can charge whatever they like, my gas safe certificate cost £88, for less than ten minutes work, the quotes I got were from over £200 down to the £88 I eventually paid.<QUOTE. That is because reputable Gas engineers do not want to sign off none competent gas work. The overhead costs of maintaining competence and registration is substantial and therefore the charge rates will be higher.

Ok. It's the building act 1985. Read that and then answer your own question. Any heat producing appliance must be installed in accordance with the applicable statutory instrument..... For gas I think it's GIUR 1998. But I'm sure when u spoke to the HSE they said all you needed was a pen and a ruler to make your own self certification reort.

The reality is that fitting gas and screwing up is a criminal offence - including
custodial sentances even for 1st offence - CHK

The wake up bit if you are illegally fitting gas will be
in a prison CHK

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I think everyone's agreed that I'm not liable (as the homeowner) but the fitter will be liable?

Thanks.

The legalities of being Gassafe etc have already been covered, but I suspect you'll still believe what you want
As for scrap cylinders and pipe work etc, I tell my customers that they can have whatever they want as long as they remove it, other than that I remove it without charge and keep it, my apprentices are usually very happy with this.These would be the apprentices you say that we don't like employing due to creating more local competition
You need to shut up and wise up and stop being so bitter

Apprentices get taken on all time and out the door just as quick when all they do is smoke, eat, play on the phone, ask what time your finishing repeatedly and are unwilling to do hard work.

sourced from a newly qualified apprentice who got off his backside.

<. <. <. <

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler installed by non-Gas Safe engineer. Are we liable? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock