Search the forum,

Discuss Best Smart Thermostat System For Viessmann 222-F Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

I have just got a new new Viessmann 222-F Boiler & need to decide which Smart Thermostat System to get for it - I am a novice & know nothing about these things and the choices out there are very many!

My installer said he can install most of them but with certain models extra equipment may be needed in order for them to work with the 222-F.

From what I have read, the Nest seems to be the most fully featured & flexible & winner in most comparisons but apparently, I need to buy a Viessmann EA1 Extension Module so this combination is rather expensive at about £350.

Viessmann are allied with Tado I believe but they seem to have really upset many of the customers by charging a monthly fee to use the full features of their latest system & that puts me off too.

Viessmann offer their own system comprised of the Vitotrol 200 RF Thermostat with the Vitoconnect 100 OPTO 1 - this costs about £250 but I do not know how flexible & featured it is compared to say Nest.

There is on offer on for the Drayton Wiser Multizone Kit One with 2 Smart Thermostats as £188 which on the whole receives 4 star ratings but 14% state that the system is an absolute nightmare which has me concerned so I thought I would seek the experts opinions here!

Hive is apparently the cheapest & I may not need to but anything extra to make it work with the 222-F but apparently it is not as good as Nest & some of the others? Would welcome opinions!

I know there are many others out there like Honeywell, Ecobell, Netamo etc but I am on information overload as it is!

Please can you kind folks suggest what you feel is the best & cost effective system for the 222-F - I really want to have the Smart Features & Functions & to be able to monitor & control via Smart Phones/Tablets etc & features like geo fencing etc sound very desirable.

Would the expense of the Nest with the additional needed module be worth it or not? What system would all you lovely experts recommend?

Many Kind Thanks & Happy New Year All!

Bazzy!

Why do you need the extension unit ?

Why do you need the extension unit ?

Hi!

Unless I got things mistaken, I believe the installer informed me that for the Nest System to work properly & fully with the 222-F this additional Extension EA1 Unit is needed - is that the case?

Is Nest fully compatible with Viessmann & the 222-F in particular or are there additional bits needed etc?

Do the two brands work well together or will there be loss of some functions & other operational issues/shortcomings?

Many Thanks!
Bazzy!

Before I go into a long winded explanation on smart stats v WC , why do you need a smart stat ?

Hi!

Our current one is well over 20 years old & just has a round dial. Our bills are extremely high & as we have a ton of females in the house, they are constantly & forever playing with the thermostat - from turning it way down to way high over & over again - not just one person, but many - no matter how many times you explain things to them & ask them not to, they just cannot control themselves.

So, I am hoping that with a Smart system I can effectively lock them out or at least limit their constant fiddling with the heat controls for starters! They will turn it all the way down if they feel too hot to all the way up when they then feel too cold!

The other reasons are, we need to upgrade anyway & as we now have a new high efficiency boiler, I would like to make max use of energy savings as possible & be able to control things when away from home so the fiddling hands at home can be negated.

I wish to get on with the tech & to learn & just to have the options & features to make best use of them so as to also future proof. I wish to go an an experiment also over time to try & make the best savings I can & see what the results turn out to be so I can show the others with evidence when the bills come!

Many Kind Thanks,
Bazzy!

Hi!

Our current one is well over 20 years old & just has a round dial. Our bills are extremely high & as we have a ton of females in the house, they are constantly & forever playing with the thermostat - from turning it way down to way high over & over again - not just one person, but many - no matter how many times you explain things to them & ask them not to, they just cannot control themselves.

So, I am hoping that with a Smart system I can effectively lock them out or at least limit their constant fiddling with the heat controls for starters! They will turn it all the way down if they feel too hot to all the way up when they then feel too cold!

The other reasons are, we need to upgrade anyway & as we now have a new high efficiency boiler, I would like to make max use of energy savings as possible & be able to control things when away from home so the fiddling hands at home can be negated.

I wish to get on with the tech & to learn & just to have the options & features to make best use of them so as to also future proof. I wish to go an an experiment also over time to try & make the best savings I can & see what the results turn out to be so I can show the others with evidence when the bills come!

Many Kind Thanks,
Bazzy!

I do see your point mate , as regards hot water , you pay when a hot tap is opened so unless you lock every tap , you have no control.
As regards heating , if the house is occupied a lot of the time you simply leave the heating on ( controllable temps ) all the time 24/7 and let the weather comp do the work , if the house is warm all the time hopefully nobody will play with it .
Mines on 24/7 house is hot and nobody touches anything, mind you if they did there would be trouble lol .

as we have a ton of females in the house, they are constantly & forever playing with the thermostat - from turning it way down to way high over & over again
Come on bazzy, you need to put your foot down here mate, show them who's the alpha ;)

Come on bazzy, you need to put your foot down here mate, show them who's the alpha ;)

Hi alpha,

Not going to happen mate - I have tried everything mate over 5 decades - not me, Not Christ, Not Krishna, Rama or The Buddha will ever get them to change - Once out of stress, I even had a heart attack due to heated discussion with them & had to be rushed to hospital before I was a goner - got there within time - 10 mins later they said & it would have been a different story!

Ever seen those David Attenborough Animal documentaries where they show a single solitary Lion being attacked on all sides by a group of 20, 30 Savage Hyenas? Welcome to my life!

Any advice of what Smart System/Thermostat to get for my boiler?

Have a great new year matey!

Bazzy!

I'm picturing the scenario and feel your pain :(
As for the stat I can't advise, I've never installed a visseman so wouldn't know what works best for it. I would always say to go with the manufacturers devices as these are designed specifically for their boilers. It all depends on what control you want. I set my stat and leave my boiler on constant, but then my partner works nights and I work through the day so there is always someone at home.

I'm curious as well, I read somewhere where that the 222-F is not compatible with OpenTherm, and from what I understand the boiler would not modulate well. I could be talking crap here as I'm learning about controls and other things and doing my research...

From what I saw, Nest would be an on/off with Vaillant boilers, no modulation. I guess it would be no different with a 222-F?

Please let us know what thermostat you went with. I'm also considering just using weather compensation and forget about a thermostat, but it seems Nest could be the weather compensation device feeding this information to the boiler?

Reply to Best Smart Thermostat System For Viessmann 222-F Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock