Search the forum,

Discuss Bath/Shower Valve issue in Bathroom in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Sfc

Evening guys, After a bit of advice with an issue in a bathroom i'm fitting. Gravity fed system, Using an existing Techflow Single Impellar pump pumping hot all around the house, Cold mains on all cold feeds. Getting hot as normal everywhere including bathroom sink but NOT any Hot out of the concealed shower valve/ bath overflow filler ( Cold is fine to filler and two outlets). Turning the thermostat round to hot on the valve and the pump attempts to kick in but literally dribbles out of it. Any ideas and opinions greatly appreciated. Cheers

What’s the mixer / filler gravity or mains rated

Pumped on the hot, Cold mains with a pressure reducing valve on the feed to Valve

No sorry what’s the valve / mixer rated for

No sorry what’s the valve / mixer rated for

apologies!

Features
  • Concealed triple shower valve
  • 3/4 inch inlets
  • Manufactured from solid brass with a chrome finish
  • Built in anti-scald device
  • Suitable for water systems between 0.5 and 4 bar pressure
  • Suitable for combi boilers and gravity fed systems
  • Suitable for unvented mains pressure systems
  • Suitable for use with Shower Pumps
  • Thermostatically controlled
  • Back plate adjustable - 72mm-92mm
  • Can be used to operate two seperate outlets independently
[automerge]1576913990[/automerge]
Try opening a hot tap to get the pump started while the shower is on and hot is selected.
Check if the shower runs when hot tap is open.
Then close hot tap and see if shower still runs.
This info will help us to diagnose the issue.

Will try that this morning. Even the Basin in the same bathroom is kicking the pump in as soon as the tap is opened about a metre away from the bath.

will try this method and get back to you

apologies!

Features
  • Concealed triple shower valve
  • 3/4 inch inlets
  • Manufactured from solid brass with a chrome finish
  • Built in anti-scald device
  • Suitable for water systems between 0.5 and 4 bar pressure
  • Suitable for combi boilers and gravity fed systems
  • Suitable for unvented mains pressure systems
  • Suitable for use with Shower Pumps
  • Thermostatically controlled
  • Back plate adjustable - 72mm-92mm
  • Can be used to operate two seperate outlets independently
[automerge]1576913990[/automerge]

Will try that this morning. Even the Basin in the same bathroom is kicking the pump in as soon as the tap is opened about a metre away from the bath.

will try this method and get back to you

There’s your answer it’s a high pressure item

Two options either need to changed the pump to a negative head one or change mixer

There’s no flow going through the pump hence the dribble due to internal resistance of the mixer

There’s your answer it’s a high pressure item

Two options either need to changed the pump to a negative head one or change mixer

There’s no flow going through the pump hence the dribble due to internal resistance of the mixer

Ok thanks for your help, Mixer is out of the question now really as it’s been tiled etc.
The Pump is accessible so will go down that route I think, If I stick with the single impeller but change to a negative head pump we should be ok you think?
[automerge]1576926617[/automerge]
Ok thanks for your help, Mixer is out of the question now really as it’s been tiled etc.
The Pump is accessible so will go down that route I think, If I stick with the single impeller but change to a negative head pump we should be ok you think?

Any recommendations for a pump Sean that’s going to be adequate for the shower valve and the rest of the house on the hot side? Cheers for your help mate

Last edited:
Easy way to test 100% the pump do as jc say open a hot tap that’s off the pump open the mixer once the pump is on shut the hot tap mixer will work now

Not the best just pumping the hot as you need to size the pump to the mains spec eg pressure when the taps open etc

As for pump Stuart turner monsoon

Easy way to test 100% the pump do as jc say open a hot tap that’s off the pump open the mixer once the pump is on shut the hot tap mixer will work now

Not the best just pumping the hot as you need to size the pump to the mains spec eg pressure when the taps open etc

As for pump Stuart turner monsoon

Completed this sequence with other hot taps off of pump open and Bath filler comes through eventually but really slow with pump not kicking in.

Completed this sequence with other hot taps off of pump open and Bath filler comes through eventually but really slow with pump not kicking in.

Then shut the taps but leave the mixer open should come through ??

Yes Shaun, it comes through at a very slow rate with the pump not kicking in at all

even after its started with a tap?

even after its started with a tap?

Correct, all other taps working as they should in normal operation. In that sequence shower valve/bath filler opens slightly more but nothing like how it should be with a pump in operation. After all taps closed off back to a real slow flow with pump not kicking in.

100% sure valve has been piped up correctly on hot & cold etc

Does it work on cold eg turn the mixer to 100% cold

working perfectly on only Cold.

replaced

Worked as normal on the cold on Filler and both outlets.

Replaced the pump this morning with a Stuart turner universal single 3bar and it seems to have down the trick although the hot is still not as great flow wise compared to the cold

Just to bump this again and a further update.

Having changed the pump to a Stuart Turner Monsoon Negative Head 3bar, I now have a flow from the Hot outlet to the valve and pump is staying on the whole time the hot is selected on the valve and even on mixed until turned completely to cold as you'd expect but nowhere near as good as the cold main. again, Every other tap in the house is great!

Few factors i'm thinking may be affecting this.

No Flange fitted on Cylinder? (Could it be improved by fitting a flange)
Cylinder is about 6 metres away from Shower Valve, Hot pipework in 22mm most of the way to valve, about 1 metre in 15mm (Would downsizing the pipe to 15mm improve)

All replies welcome guys, Thank you

Reply to Bath/Shower Valve issue in Bathroom in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat. My flat kitchen and bathroom was always on mains supply (no tank supply at all) and the rest of the 5 flats were mains supply to kitchen and water...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock