Search the forum,

Discuss Basement Lightwell Soil Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone

I am new here but hope someone can offer some guidance! House was built around 1896.

A new basement lightwell is being created with a grill at ground level over the top. I wish to re-route the existing clay soil pipe around the lightwell walls in plastic as it currently runs right through the middle just below ground level. See the attached diagram - the proposed drain route is in red - existing route in green.

Reading other posts it seems that building regulations say that above ground drainage has a maximum length of 6m from WC to stack. Does this limit apply from stack on the way to manhole? The pipe is below ground level but only about 200mm and would be attached to the lightwell wall. The width of the light well is circa 1.5m and the length 5.5m making the length 7m before it would disappear below ground on its way to an existing manhole. So does the 6m apply in this case? If it does Is there anything that can be used to break the 7m that would make it comply with regs.

Any advice appreciated before meeting with building control?

Cheers
Martin

Plan-small.jpg

that distance is fine so long as you retain a sufficient fall. They may want rodding access at a change of direction but probably not if its just a 45.

Thanks Jldplumb. The red line on the pic is what I am trying to get approved so will provide adequate rodding access to keep them happy. Cheers

Try to arrange rodding access so you and the cellar don't get covered in rose petals when you open access points.

FYI the 6M limit is for un-ventilated branch pipes to WC, so long as the head of your drain run is fully ventilated then it is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basement Lightwell Soil Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Attached is a ground floor picture of the soil pipe in our home. There was originally a toilet which has now been permanently capped off and you can also see a sink waste pipe attached. My plan is to drill out one of the 50mm sockets directly opposite the current sink waste for a new 40mm...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm due to start building a new side extension on a 3 bed semi, it's across the driveway up to the boundary. We're adding a downstairs toilet and utility room. The existing soil stack will be retained and boxed in with added rodding eye as it's well positioned for the existing 1st...
Replies
Views
I would appreciate some advice. I have a flat on the 3rd floor of a converted house, which has a lightwell in the middle of the flat. The bottom of the lightwell reaches the 3rd floor (my flat’s floor level) and has a roof lantern for the flat on the 2nd floor. I plan to build a small bathroom...
Replies
Views
TL/DR: Can I have a bend of 90 degrees in the dry section of a 4-inch soil vent? Hi. I am renovating a small bathroom. There is an awkward part of the wall where the builders boxed off a large section just to conceal the 4-inch soil vent. I realise, of course, that the soil vent is essential to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock