Search the forum,

Discuss ballpark costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello All

I've popped on just to see if anyone can help guide with costs and an invoice I've just received for works recently done. This wasn't quoted as the engineer in question has done some work for us before and this job, although not an emergency, was done in haste.

Telephone call first thing, problem diagnosed on phone, part picked up on route to house and new control board fitted to Combi 30 SE - wasn't in the house more than 30 mins and all done by 1pm.

Guide price?

Many thanks

Richard

What price heating and hot water?

You need to be registered to receive replies.

Hello Richard. Can you register with the forum please, so you can receive any answers to your questions?

How much did he charge? Remembering that he's diagnosed the issue using his experience and knowledge, travelled for x minutes to purchase the part, added x percent onto the materials and then visited and repaired boiler all in less than half a day!

Depends on cost of board, around £200./£300 total cost, try boiler manufacture and see what they charge !

Last edited:
Labour price`s vary across regions, where are you?

I would expect to pay cost of materials plus a markup, which tends to be highish on parts as if the diagnosis is wrong, the customer doesn't want to pay, and the supplier won't take them back. 15% - 20% is cheap. 25% - 30% is probably fairish.

Plus labour (inc travel time). That could be anywhere between £40 and £150 per hour (plus VAT if he is VAT registered) - depending on where in the country you are and whether "recently" means he came out on Xmas eve afternoon.

That gives a range of answers between about £200 and £750 depending on the price of the board and how far he had to travel.

I'm in the East Midlands, he's very local, job was done on 22/12 - i didn't ask for the job to be finished, in fact suggested we could do it this week. All done to his timeline, got the impression it was convenient for him to do so.

Couple of random suppliers give the part price at ca £140 incl.

I understand how a business like this works and what needs to be accounted for - given the above, that still gives him an astounding hourly rate for this job!

I won't declare yet, would like to see if there is any more 'blind' opinion!

for the professionals out there, i hope you take this thread in the spirit intended. I don't mind paying and I'll pay good money for good advice and a job well done. But i won't be taken for an bum and in doing up a property I've found a lot of people willing to try and do so! I've ended up doing a lot of work myself but i won't touch the boiler. I'd just like to try and establish that the price is about right.

What price hot water and heat Simon? Good question and one i hope this guy is asking himself - if he's having a laugh, I won't be going back to him and won't be recommending him so i hope he's got his covered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ballpark costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock