Search the forum,

Discuss Are BG going to rip me off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sh3p69

Hi there all, This is my First post, and just want to say hi...
Well, i have a Ravenheat Combi condensing Boiler (I Know its not the best)
The problem is that my CH is working fine But my hot water runs warm cold warm cold, the boiler clicks on off constantly with the hot water...
But if i turn the hot water on just slightly so it comes out slow the boiler comes on and doesnt turn off!!! With constantly hot water, But to run the bath it take ages!!!
So i rang British Gas as i`m apart of there HOME CARE Insurance thing.
and they said it was sludge and crap in the system and the Heat exchange plate (think that's what its called) was blocked and needed cleaning but they would not do this unless i buy the MagnaClean (£250 fitted) off them to prevent any more crap getting in there.
So i said yes as i have no hot water.
So they cleaned and fitted the MagnaClean. And it still never worked. So now they are saying that i need a power-flush (£480) and just left me with no hot water..Thanks British Gas...
Rang and said that i would have it done, but cant have it done until 19Th Feb And this was on the 12.1.10...
sorry for the long post...
Am i getting ripped off, is there any thing that i can do to get it working...
The boiler is 5 year old and all of down stars (Rad`s and pipe`s) is just over a year old as i had it done...
Thanks again, Dave...

likely cause scale and or sludge in plate heat exchanger so power flush should cure however 480 is a bit steep i would say 300.00 for average 7 rad house

But they sonic cleaned it and as soon as he put it on and turned the boiler it did it again straight away, He said to me that it blocked straight away,I cant see how, but then I'm no professionally

£250 seems a bit steep for fitting a Magnaclean - that's £150 for labour - usually takes me about 1/2 hour if system is already drained.

I would defnitely get someone else to quote for a powerflush. The most I charge is about £250 for a system like yours (which is about the going rate round here).

Thanks for your reply`s. so could it block up as quick as that!!! Also got some water out of a rad and the water is a yellowish looking, but isn't black at all...

did they hook up a powerflush and flush system minimum of 4 hours if using proper equipment
i had a house took 8 hours the other day and still had some cold spots on rads the sludge filled the magnet on every rad

extortionate to be honest, and i would doubt the powerflush is required, 250 for magna clean fitted ??? laughable as ar all bg prices, people will realise one day that the local plumber is the better option, all these care packs have t's and c's. you dont get what you want done and its a money making racket. wouldnt clean your heat exchanger unless a magna clean was fitted at 250? like someone else said it litterally tee's into your system hour job max thats with draining down! less than hundred for the part.

Would NOT Recommend British Gas to ANYONE!!! But at the time i was thinking, Home Care, Peace of mind, No Large amount of money going out if something goes wrong...
HOW WRONG WAS I... RIP OFF...
No not had the flush done yet, not until 19Th of feb...

sounds like gas valve not modulating properly faulty hot water thermistor or faulty gas valveor faulty board I would not think blocked specialy if it only started doing this all of a sudden sludge and the problem would get worse over time

I would say that Fireblade has given you some good advice there.

I had a Ravenheat doing the same thing a year or so ago. turned out to be the thermistor.

They are rubbish boilers but call Ravenheat and ask them to recommend a local engineer.

Then when he;s fixed it get right onto BG and take them so small claims if they refuse to refund you.

Regards

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are BG going to rip me off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
B
I have a new shower that has worked fine, albeit with low hot water pressure, for a couple of months. Now it starts hot, but then goes cold completely, sometimes after a couple of minutes, sometimes after less than 30 seconds. Meanwhile, on the side of the bathroom sink, there are no issues...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock