Search the forum,

Discuss Alpha FlowSmart - Thermal Store Leaking and Boiler Whining in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ed_pete

My first post:

Two unrelated problems. I have a 7 year old Alpha 35C boiler as part of a Flow Smart installation with a 50 litre Thermal Store on the primary circuit thats heats up the inflowing cold main before it entering the boiler via a mixer valve. The Thermal Store tank is sited in the same cupboard as the boiler directly below resting on the floor. The tank has a drain valve at the bottom which has started to leak. It's unlike any valve I've seen before as it's just a lightly knurled brass threaded nut (no flats) with a plastic tapered pipe that's like a hose end (ridged). I tried slightly loosening and tightening the brass nut but to avail. It's still dripping. As a temporary fix I've connected a short piece of hosepipe to the black hose end secured with a jubilee clip, the hosepipe is attached to short piece of copper pipe with a stopend. A bit Heath Robertson but so far so good.

Any seen this before and any suggestions as to how to fix this properly ?

Second problem is more long standing. Most mornings over the last 5-6 months when the heating comes on the first thing, the boiler makes a whining noise - my wife likened it to whale-song (!). I'm thinking its bearings either in the fan or the pump but can't isolate which. Again previous experience of similar issues and suggestions as to how to diagnose would be much appreciated.

Link to boiler noise video !

[video]https://goo.gl/photos/ApPTE3iHzo77jHNd6[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
your best bet is to call a gas safe engy out

depends when it was last serviced also might be worth having it done

you might want to pop a thread in here incase one of our members are close to you

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

You're gonna need to get someone in to do a fix!

Appreciate that I will need to get someone to look a this, however I do understanding heating systems and domestic plumbing and was just looking for advice really as to likely causes (for the whining noise).

Appreciate that I will need to get someone to look a this, however I do understanding heating systems and domestic plumbing and was just looking for advice really as to likely causes (for the whining noise).

a component inside the boiler, which you need a gas safe engy for

Changed the drain off on one of these this morning, Swapped out for half inch standard brass drain off. Straight forward job but as already said if your having issues with the boiler best off getting in your local gas engineer to have a look for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha FlowSmart - Thermal Store Leaking and Boiler Whining in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock