Search the forum,

Discuss Air Source and underfloor heating in old bungalow in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. I’m looking for some advice. We had a 1960’s bungalow in Cornwall with a wooden suspended floor. The old oil builder is 20 years old and so we want to replace it. We were looking at a Air Source Heat Pump with underfloor heating but the more we look at it the more concerned we are that it is not appropriate for our older property.
The fitter is looking at putting rock wool insulation approx. 20cm deep between the joists with 30mm Suspended Neo-foil by Solflex. our builder then wants to put a 12mm ply board on top as a base with engineered wood flooring keeping the total thickness below 25mm.
My concern is that it will not work sufficiently to heat the property and wondered if anyone had experience of this?
Thank you Julie

The key performance driver for an ASHP is the level of insulation in the property and it’s exposure to wind. The detail proposed for the UFH looks fine - but your comfort factor will be determined by the level of insulation et al outlined above

The key performance driver for an ASHP is the level of insulation in the property and it’s exposure to wind. The detail proposed for the UFH looks fine - but your comfort factor will be determined by the level of insulation et al outlined above
Thank you for your reply. Our bungalow is fairly close to the sea and we do have a lot of windy days with very high gusts. The unit be on the back of the property which is the more exposed side of the property. Would this then impact it's efficiency?

If anything an onshore wind across the evaporator should slightly improve the COP ( efficiency). My reference to wind was draughts and its effect on chilling the property.

Generally ASPH work well in England in costal locations - they tend to be locations that have fewer frosts. An ASHP creates a temperature differential so when working at full capacity, as the outside temperature reduces so does the inside temperature - which is why high levels of insulation, draught proofing and double glazing et al is so important.

Hello. I’m looking for some advice. We had a 1960’s bungalow in Cornwall with a wooden suspended floor. The old oil builder is 20 years old and so we want to replace it. We were looking at a Air Source Heat Pump with underfloor heating but the more we look at it the more concerned we are that it is not appropriate for our older property.
The fitter is looking at putting rock wool insulation approx. 20cm deep between the joists with 30mm Suspended Neo-foil by Solflex. our builder then wants to put a 12mm ply board on top as a base with engineered wood flooring keeping the total thickness below 25mm.
My concern is that it will not work sufficiently to heat the property and wondered if anyone had experience of this?
Thank you Julie
UFH is ace , but it really needs a fully insulated concrete slab to build up and retain the heat it..its not like radiators, walk in turn on and get warm in 30mins. I see all the blah blah about rock wool, foil, and enginerred floor. Your 1st base is get your 1960 home draught sealed properly insulated, walls roof windows doors and floors...look at 'passive hus' to see what can be done, there are grants and more on the way. You are entirely correct to be concerned in my opinion
centralheatking

Reply to Air Source and underfloor heating in old bungalow in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock