Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please - Water Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thinker

Hi all

Apologies if this should have gone into a different section.

Ok. I'm revamping a bathroom and separate En-Suite. Both have baths but only the bathroom has a shower which we want to now come off the mian water supply(it was previously electric).

Sadly we fell for the trap of ordering shiny new 5 hole tap sets which are useless for low pressure systems. But we have them now and would like them to work properly. We also bought a thermostatic shower mixer which works with both low and high pressure systems. so now we are looking at installing a water pump.

Our rig is a standard UK, gravity fed system. Separate tanks in the loft for High Pressure Cold and Low Pressure Cold/Hot plus a smaller tank that feeds the central heating. House is about 14 yrs old.

In the airing cupboard we have a std Hot Water Cylinder.

Normally I think you would recommend a simple pump (like a Salamander) sited in the airing cupboard and the installation of a Surrey Flange to the cylinder.

But we have a complication which is that there are separate hot and cold feeds to each room. They clearly both come from the same low pressure tank in the loft, but crucially the feed is split BEFORE it comes down into the airing cupboard :(

Thus in the airing cupboard we have separate isolating valve wheels for the bathroom and for the En-suite.

If we site kit in the airing cupboard then we'll have to use 2 separate pumps, one for each room.

The alternative is to put 1 single pump in the loft but I think that adds complications of its own right? (Neg head pump ??)

Can anyone suggest the right way to get both rooms up to a decent pressure (say 2-3 bar) for the baths and for the shower too?

Much appreciated.

Technically a pump should have its own feed from the HW tank so you will need to do some replumbing

If you need it to feed a bath then a shower pump will not be correct and will fail so a whole house pump (more £££) is required You can get a dect one that can cope with both bathrooms, even at the sametime but again its £££

a lot of these 4 and 5 hole jobbies are useless at anything below 0.5 bar

Also if you fit a whole house pump you may need to up the size of your Cold water tank feeding the cylinder

To be honest I don't really want a "whole house pump".

We just need a pump to power the baths which will 99.9% of the time never be used together. Nor is the shower likely to be used whilst a bath is running.

Do you think maybe it would be easier to just install 2 separate "cheaper" pumps in the airing cupboard then, one for each room?

its a possiblity if you have the room as ideally they need to be next to the base of the hot water cylinder and must have there own dedicated supply, (ideally via an essex flange)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice Please - Water Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock