Search the forum,

Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,
There are permissible drops depending on meter and installation as long as you can’t smell gas.
However if the test was carried out with all appliances isolated and it dropped it’s not allowed.

Nope it’s fine and depending on how he did the test eg water gauge it’s not even readable/ notable at 0.5 mbar

I wouldn’t tbh tho

That is only if there is an actual leak which unless the same method was used a number of times it could the temporary connection made to do the test

Thanks for the reassurance!

Is it possibe to locate the "leak" if we get someone back to isolate the boiler and gas hob?

You could get a gas engineer out to come and investigate. As most people have said if there is no smell of gas I wouldn’t worry.

If you decide to isolate appliance and there is still a drop. You may have to repipe the installation.

It’s very difficult to find a 0.5 Mbar drop.

Its within tolerance pal , strange you can have a gas leak but its ok .
Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance ... pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany ... would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance . pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany . would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

So your going to test a gas pipe with water

Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance . pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany . would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

we don’t use steel for gas pipes in domestic properties. The permissible drop is to cater for old gas valves on appliances, pipework only has to be totally tight.

A domestic gas installation should be tested at 1 bar for 30 mins ?
Standing pressure is usually well below 30mbar and working pressure 21 +\-2 so probably a bit overkill.
I do agree with zero tolerance though, that’s alway what I aim for anyway even if it’s within permissible drop.

A domestic gas installation should be tested at 1 bar for 30 mins ?
Standing pressure is usually well below 30mbar and working pressure 21 +\-2 so probably a bit overkill.
I do agree with zero tolerance though, that’s alway what I aim for anyway even if it’s within permissible drop.

So what would you do if there’s a 1.5 mbar drop

Or an 7.5 mbar drop on an electronic one

I’d try and find where it was coming from and repair if possible.

No need there both classed as acceptable with appliances on the line and no smell, if you did oversell you could be done and gas safe envolved if the customer was that way

So if in that situation, you had a 3mbar drop on a g4 metre, your conscience gets the better of you and you decide to investigate. You isolate the appliances and prove the pipework is sound. You then test each appliance individually and find the gas valve on the fire is passing. What then? Do you leave it or have to condem it?

What do you mean ?
I could be done for trying to find a leak ?
I know it’s permissible but surely it’s better to be 100% tight if possible ?

next time you do a test after your done put your hand on the gas pipe and watch the gauge now imagine a windy / cloudy day the gauge could go down 3 - 4 mbar for nothing just a bit chilly

And yes as it’s within safe limits so in short your making work for your self

So if in that situation, you had a 3mbar drop on a g4 metre, your conscience gets the better of you and you decide to investigate. You isolate the appliances and prove the pipework is sound. You then test each appliance individually and find the gas valve on the fire is passing. What then? Do you leave it or have to condem it?

Have to remove / cap the appliance with permission if the original test was outside specd limits for said meter

Yeah but 3mbar is within tolerance so would you still have to cap it?

No within spec and no smell leave it you could note it down

As you wouldn’t go looking for one so no appliances removed / capped to test just the line

Why would I be reported for that though mate ?
Not trying to argue here, I’ve just never been told this.
At college when the question of trying to find a drop even if within limits was asked the answer was there no need but if you want to try and find it then you can.

As it’s acceptable and safe

Let’s say you’ve had a 2.5 mbar drop you spend 1/2 a day looking around and testing you find it and fix it

Give the customer a bill of let’s pick a figure £200 every other engineer hasn’t picked this fault up / says it needs repairing

Customer says how much, they phones gas safe up and say I want to see if something sounds right with you

I’ve had a gas leak of 2.5 mbar and the engineers found it and repaired it but it’s cost me 200 did it need repairing

They will ask the customer a few questions or send an inspector out etc

And they will say no it’s within acceptable limits Customer won’t pay the bill etc

This confuses me too, so harvest has said once he found where the gas was coming from, he would cap it as obviously it isn't acceptable for a valve to be passing gas. But if you haven't gone looking for the leak it's acceptable? Just seems that if we're ignorant we can pass it off. I know we're only following rules but from a safety point, why aren't we forced to confirm whether the drop is through fluctuation or an actual leak? The no smell of gas rule is a little ignorant too as the gas will just go out the flue or chimney so it's unlikely you'll smell it.

Reply to 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock